Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2016

The QB {a Review}

I just finished The QB: The Making of Modern Quarterbacks by Bruce Feldman. I received the complimentary book to review through the Blogging for Books program. 

I have always been a fan of football. I went to high school in Texas where football is pretty much life and I have a family member who coaches the sport. This book grabbed my attention because it's about the "high-stakes private quarterback-coach business". The book mainly focuses on Trent Dilfer and his Elite 11 program, among others. It also follows the private QB coach of Johnny Manziel (George Whitfield), who has been all over the media lately for domestic violence accusations and his problems during the season with the Cleveland Browns. I've honestly never been a fan of Johnny Football despite ties to Texas A&M. I was super curious to see if getting an insider look into his training and his coach would make me like him just a little bit. He pops up throughout the book and, quite honestly, it was just more red flags after red flags.

But this books isn't all about Manziel. It's about so many other prospects who are now in the NFL or are playing NCAA football. I found myself stopping to Google different names to see if they were still playing (the book follow peoples in 2013-14 with some updates in 2015 in the afterword). I loved learning about all the different ways these kids are being trained, physically and mentally. It's amazing how a tweak to one little thing can change the way someone throws and  can, in turn, get them on the college football recruiting radar. I was also shocked at the number of kids whose parents start them with high dollar coaches when they are 8 or 9 years old.

I found this book incredibly informative and was always reading something aloud to my husband or texting him things from it... to which he responded, 'I want to read it when you're done...stop texting me stuff!!" Haha! Bruce Feldman did a really great job with this subject matter. I thought it flowed and captured this world of private quarterback-coaches and elite quarterbacks amazingly well.





 

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds awesome. I'm not a Johnny Manziel fan (well, I don't think anyone is anymore haha!), but I always love reading behind the scenes stuff. After Chris gets it, I'll borrow it next ;)

    ReplyDelete